Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Friday, August 21, 2009

Cinderfella


What a week! I used the exclamation point to work up some excitement for what has really been seven days of of domestic drudgery.

The big news of the week was that "Daughter" started school. I know, it's the middle of August, why so early? I have no idea other than that the District likes having a few more days off in Spring and wants to see the kids sweat like day laborers during late Summer. This isn't just another school year for "Daughter", it's 8th grade. Yes, 8th grade, the stress filled, peer pressure ridden, puberty sprouting denouement (wow, I used a big French word) of the Middle School experience. Every assignment, activity and decision this year will be scrutinized, mulled over and fixated on with an eye toward High School and her "permanent record". My hope is that "Daughter" navigates this chapter with more aplomb than her father. I spent my entire 8th grade year obsessed with a rather comely brunette classmate who had blossomed into early womanhood much sooner and with better ( read: bigger) results than many of the other "icky girls" with whom I shared my days. Looking back, I would have had no idea what to do with such a vixen had she returned my interest, but even at that tender age, a Catholic School Girl's uniform whipped me into such a state that diagramming sentences could not hold my attention. At this point, "Daughter" doesn't seem to have more that a passing interest in the hairier sex, loves school and is active in activities that should benefit her for the long term, so I think we'll be OK.

One other event has cast a long shadow over the compound this week. "Daughter" is turning 13 next week, so that means it's time for a birthday party. For this momentous occasion, "Daughter" asked "Wife" and me if she could have a sleep over. Yee Ha! Eight teen aged girls jacked up on sugar, pizza and hormones, hunkered down in my basement for a night of gossip, games and other girly activities. If there's a sleep over, there has to be a theme, so "Daughter" decided on "Beach Party". Last night, with the help of bags full of party store decorations, we turned our wood paneled rumpus room into a South Pacific paradise. i was so taken with the ambiance, I tried to get "Wife" to re-enact a little From Here To Eternity after "Daughter" hit the hay, but she refused to sully the festive atmosphere with anything so unseemly.

I spent the last three days deep cleaning the house. I kept trying to use some old school guilt on "Daughter" by telling her it was all for her party, but in truth, it was just that time. Tuesday was carpet cleaning day. We're not pigs by any stretch, but I couldn't help but feel a bit disgusted as I emptied the dirty water from the cleaner's reservoir. What had only moments before been crystal clear hot water was now the color and consistency of lukewarm chocolate milk. Wednesday brought out the mop and bucket for some old fashioned floor washing. Like a scullery maid or a low ranking seaman, I swabbed the hardwood deck until it shone in the reflected sunlight. My exhilaration over a job well done was not long lived however since my mangy mutt has no respect for a clean floor and tracked in God knows what from the back yard. Yesterday I ventured into the basement to prepare it for the big bash. At first glance, the basement didn't look too bad, and in fact it wasn't, except for countless, almost invisible cobwebs. They were lurking everywhere and never missed a chance to attach themselves to my face. I was spinning, spitting and flailing around so many times that I looked as if someone had connected a car battery to my unmentionables and was testing out the cold cranking amps.

The girls will arrive early this evening and are set to depart early tomorrow morning. There are many activities planned (shirt decorating, limbo contest, scavenger hunt), because idol time is a party killer. I hope everything goes smoothly. There is always some drama when a group of girls gets together, and my skills at smoothing out those episodes are sparse.

If you're thinking, "Hey Brian, aren't you doing a big show tonight and thus missing the beach soiree?" Normally yes, but I won't be in tonight. I can't say much other than, don't believe the propaganda. I didn't "take the night off." I'll be back tomorrow (Sat/Sun) night from 1-5 am on WGN with what is shaping up to be another fine broadcast. It might seem premature of me to say that, but with the ideas I have so far and what always happens "in the moment", I'm confident you won't be disappointed. I hope you'll join me. Have a great weekend. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home