Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Friday, August 14, 2009

Nazis, Death Panels, Really?


It's such a beautiful day, I hate to sully it with controversy, but I'm getting ready for the big shows, so my thoughts always turn to the issues of the day. (Yeah, right. My thoughts turn to when I'll get to take my nap before staying up yakking all night.) With all my foot problems, I've been personally affected by the Health Care System over the last few weeks. I'm not bragging, and believe me, I wish that weren't the case. Thankfully we here at the Noonan compound have good insurance. Not everyone does, and that in a nutshell, is what's causing so much commotion.

I'm not going to try to take apart the proposed Health Care Reform Bill that's being debated around the country. I have neither the time nor the space. What I will say quickly is that nothing will get solved if people can't have a civil debate without resorting to crazy name calling. Maybe I got sun stroke while cuting the grass earlier, but I'm trying to get into a calm, zen like mindset. It's hard for me, but I'm trying. I wish everyone would follow my lead. Seriously, what is accomplished by fanatics comparing the President and suporters of the Health Care Bill to Nazis? Really? Nazis? The group that exterminated six million people? Does anyone really think that's what our government wants to do? That type of irresponsible blathering is a slap in the face to survivors and families of the victims of the Holocaust. I'm also not a fan of the "Death Panel" enthusiasts. Not that they're enthused about Death Panels, rather they're hypnotized by the sound of the inflammatory term they can't stop spouting, despite irrefutable evidence (not counting common sense) to the contrary. Granted, on many occasions, I would have liked to appoint myself Judge, Jury and Executioner of the thoughtless, rude and idiotic, but that scenario plays out only in my head. There aren't going to be any Tribunals of Death deciding who stays and who goes. Look it up. I know, logic and facts aren't fun. God knows I try to avoid them whenever possible, but this is too important an issue to get lost in a cloud of crazy.

One protester at a town hall meeting was carrying a sign that said "Death to Michelle and Her Two Stupid Kids". Way to bring a valid point to the debate Sparky. Yes, that's right, threatening innocent people is the best way to get your point across. People will be sure to take you seriously, so seriously in fact that you'll be able to shout your lunacy at the top of your lungs during Rec Time in "the yard". There is a lot of anger over the Health Care issue and some theorize that it might not all be connected to health care. People are angry over the state of the economy, unemployment and the fact that their local Jeep dealership ran out of new Patriots for the Cash for Clunkers program. Anger is fine, disagreements are fine and debate is excellent, but irresponsible rhetoric and threats will get us nowhere.

See, now I've harshed my mellow and on the anniversary of Woodstock no less. I'll pop in a Sha-Na-Na/Hendricks mix tape and try to get myself back to the garden in time for the big shows on WGN this weekend. (Fri/Sat 2-5 am and Sat/Sun 1-5 am). Lot's to cover including Michael Vick's return, fondling amusement park mascots, an exploding bird and yawning as a crime. Plus we'll mark the anniversary of Elvis' death with Elvis Trivia on the "Overnight Arcade". I hope you can join me. Have a great weekend. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home