Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Good Bye Old Friend


You'll have to excuse me if this post is a bit emotional. I'll follow the old journalistic rule and get right to the lead. Yesterday afternoon I had to put my dog Baloo to sleep. She had been a part of our family for over 15 years. I know that this is one of the curses that all pet owners/lovers must endure, so some of you will know exactly what my family is going through, because you have endured it yourself. If you don't have a pet, or have a young, healthy one, you may want to avoid the rest of this post like an afternoon screening of "Marley and Me". The idea of eulogizing a dog seems a bit odd, since Baloo never made any huge contributions to society, except for keeping our grass green with repeated fertilizing, but she made an impact on me, and really, in my world, isn't that what matters the most?

Baloo was my first pet. Growing up, my parents always said that raising five boys was enough work and they weren't going to add to their responsibilities by bringing another animal into the family. I was also very allergic to dogs as a kid. Looking back, that may have all been a ruse by my folks to keep the house canine free, since I've had dogs for the last decade and a half and never so much as sneezed while nuzzling them. Wow, what a breakthrough. My parents diabolical plot has finally been brought to light.

"Wife" started talking about getting a dog as soon as we were married. Well, she waited a few days because "I want a dog" doesn't make for romantic honeymoon pillow talk. I insisted on waiting until we had a house, because I always thought it unfair for a dog not to have a yard in which to run and play. We had been married two years when we bought our first house and a month after moving in "Wife" convinced me to take a ride to the Humane Society. We looked at a lot of dogs that day, but one grabbed both our attention at the same time. She was part of a litter that had been abandoned at the Humane Society during a thunderstorm. She was fluffy and black with tan legs and markings and we were told she was about three months old. She seemed very shy, staying away from the rest of the litter, but she came up to us and we spent a little while with her before deciding that this little fur ball would be our first dog. We named her Baloo based on my love of the bear in "The Jungle Book". I know, that bear was male, but after a visit to the vet, our Baloo wasn't exactly female, so it worked. We never were able to discern exactly what breed Baloo was, so "mutt" had to suffice, but she had some Border Collie or herding dog in her, because that dog could run. She would spend hours racing around the backyard, running so fast on the turns that she was almost on her side.

We were diligent first time dog owners. I read all sorts of books on training puppies, going so far as to put my mouth on her neck while she laid on her back so she would know that I was the lead dog. That was an illusion that she shattered many times. We got an old fashioned wind up alarm clock to keep her company because the books said it reminded a puppy of it's mother's heartbeat. Sure it did, until "Mom's heart" started ringing at 7:00 am due to a slip of the switch. We also got her numerous Muppet Baby Big Bird dolls to keep her company. I say numerous because Baloo had a habit of chewing out the eyes of all the Big Birds we gave her. Just the eyes. Any pet psychologists want to handle that one?

Baloo's shyness always stayed with her. She loved women and kids, but hated most men. She would bark incessantly at my brothers (a good judge of character?) and most of my friends, but she always responded warmly to me, my dad and my Uncle Bob. Baloo was fond of hiding. She staked out places in all of our homes that became the first places we would look for her. She made her own little refuge behind a chair in the family room, and would go there for a little "doggy quiet time". When we got a new bed that had a higher frame, she made the space under the bed her personal den. She would spend hours under there, coming out when she set her mind to it and not before. We would know she was on her way when we'd hear the clawing on the carpet and the jingle of her tags. Since she got too old to climb the stairs, I've missed knowing that she was asleep under the bed. I could put my hand over the side, and suddenly a cold nose and wet tongue would give me a reassuring nudge.

I'm not an expert dog behaviorist, but sometimes animals amaze me. This dog, that in a lot of ways was afraid of her own shadow, became a fierce protector when "Daughter" was born. Baloo would sleep next to the bassinet and later "Daughter's" crib and come find us when "Daughter" started to cry. If we handed the baby to someone, that was fine, but if anyone reached for the baby without our permission, Baloo would bark, letting them know that that was a mistake. Baloo was patient with "Daughter" as she grew up, sitting quietly while our curious toddler petted her a bit too hard or pulled her tail. Baloo would look at "Wife" and I as if to say "OK, I know she's with you, but how about a lesson in gentleness?" It didn't take long for "Daughter" to learn how to treat Baloo and learn the compassion for animals that will last throughout her life.

Baloo was a good teacher for the other dogs that came into our lives as well. She mentored Max when he joined us the year after she did, and despite being 10 when Spike became part of the family after Max's untimely death, taught the new rambunctious pup who was the "big dog". She was a bit neurotic, going through phases where she would lick a spot on her legs bare, but none of that changed the way we felt about her, or her about us. She was always happy to jump on the couch and would spend as much time as we would allow with her head on our lap, soaking up some well deserved petting.

The last year was somewhat tough for Baloo. We knew she had a bad hip and arthritis, but with medication and weight loss (The green bean diet. It actually worked. ) she was walking pretty well. Last March she had an episode where she fell over and seemed to be having trouble breathing. Our vet, who had treated her since we got her (except for our time in California) diagnosed her with an enlarged heart. Her eyesight and hearing were going as well, but that was chalked up to old age. We were told that she could go at any time, but if we kept her on certain meds once a day, she wouldn't be in any pain. We did what all pet lovers do and began giving her the medicine religiously. She made a great recovery and despite being a little slower, seemed to be doing well. The entire family kept the knowledge of Baloo's health in the back of our minds and knew that the time would come that when we would either find her gone on her own, or have to make the decision that no one wants to make.

Last month I took Baloo to the vet. He examined her and again told me that she wasn't suffering, but could go at any time and that "I would know" when the time came to make the final decision. I'll confess to a bit of selfishness in not wanting to say goodbye, but last week, we sat down as a family and realized that we needed to do what was best for our friend. There is no need to go into the details of our last visit to the vet, but I will say that I was with Baloo until the end. It reminds me of the section of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men when Candy let someone else take his dog away and shoot it. A man has to tend to his own dog. This was the second time I've had to tend to my own dog in that way. Baloo went gently. I hope she knew that I was with her and that fact made it a bit more peaceful. I know it did for me.

The rug by the front door is where she spent the majority of the last few months, and she was the first thing I'd see when I came downstairs each morning. The rug is empty today, and that emptiness is causing a great deal of sadness in our home. That sadness will permeate the house for a while, but all the good memories of Baloo will eventually push it aside, and we will all move on. Spike is feeling it too. He's been moping around since yesterday afternoon, looking for his companion, his teacher, his friend.

I'm not very good at goodbyes. I'll just say "See ya later Pal." Thanks Baloo. You were a great dog. No matter what happened in our lives, you were a constant source of unconditional love, laughter and at times frustration. We were all fortunate to have found each other that Saturday afternoon in May of 1994. Rest well. Good Girl.

Later...Brian

2 Comments:

At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RIP, Baloo. Brian - as a long time pet owner, I feel your pain. Take heart of the good life that you gave to Baloo and in turn all that she did for you. Tis never easy to let go of a friend. Good thoughts are with you.

Frank

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

Thank you for writing about your dog. You wrote a really fine eulogy for a wonderful pet.

Elaine

 

Post a Comment

<< Home