Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Uneasy Rider (Smoothing Out The Ride)


Fear and trepidation have been replaced by confidence and respect. Last night's episode on the range made me think that I might actually be able to ride a motorcycle. When I arrived at the trailer, I asked the instructor, Tom, if I should change bikes to get a different feel for things. He suggested that I stay with the same bike since it was only my second night and I would still be getting used to the controls etc. Being a complaint and dedicated student I situated myself next to the "dual sport" Yamaha (I know I said it was a Kawasaki yesterday, but in my novice mind they're the same) that I thought was the one I had attempted to ride the night before. I had wanted to change bikes because I was having a throttle issue with the first bike. I call it a "throttle issue", more experienced riders would probably call it "that doofus doesn't have the touch to work the throttle correctly." In my defense, a more experienced rider did tell me that the throttle had too much torque. See, there was a throttle issue. The problem was that during our first night on the range, my throttle was an all or nothing proposal. I thought I was "rolling on and off" (dig my biker lingo) with the appropriate feel, but all everyone kept hearing was my bike letting out high pitched roars as I inadvertently gunned the engine. I blame my first choice of gloves too. I brought different ones last night since I was positive that the texture of my original gloves was sticking to the rubberized throttle. Yeah, sure it was.

It turns out, I grabbed the same model bike, but a different one than I had been on previously. Fortune and the biker gods were smiling down on me. This bike's throttle rolled smoothly, and my new gloves allowed for firm but smooth control. When we hit the range, I approached each drill with a higher level of confidence and even found myself smiling a few times. We practiced navigating curves, leans, and head turns. My confidence grew as I slowed, looked, rolled and pressed (oh yeah, I got the terminology down) into curves at increasing speeds. I don't think they give awards half way into the session for "most improved rider", but Tom told me "you're getting smoother and smoother Brian", so I'll take that as a good sign. It's not all about curves though. We also did a drill that involved weaving. When Tom, and Tony (the other instructor) explained the drill I thought, "you gotta be kidding. I'm just now able to shift into second and navigate a curve and now you want me stunt riding in a Junior College parking lot?" Turns out, I was born to weave. Motorcycles that is, I don't think I have a future running a loom.

My perspiration problem from the night before was kept in check by a new florescent green bandanna. The color may have left something to be desired, but hidden in the traditional bandanna design were little skulls. Nothing says rough and tumble biker like a guy wearing a skull embossed day-glo bandanna riding in formation between orange cones. I am having a small problem with my thighs today. The problem is, they hurt like hell. Who knew that riding a motorcycle took leg muscles? Perhaps squeezing my legs around a giant vibrating beast is taxing muscles I didn't know I had. I have a new found sympathy for "Wife". I may have to start calling her my "Old Lady" by the end of the week, but only with my biker pals.

Gotta run. I need to study. We may be having our 50 question test tonight if the rain gets too bad. If not, it's more practice. I'm planning on trying a new bike tonight. I've been studying the foot pegs, rear brake pedal and gear shift on some of the other models and they seem more conducive to my giant feet. I'll let you know. Start seeing motorcycles! Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home