Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Monday, June 08, 2009

Uneasy Rider


You know the old saying "Life's too short." Well today I am paying attention to that saying and doing something I've wanted to do for a long time. In a couple of hours I will be attending my first motorcycle riding class. I've always wanted to ride a motorcycle, but except for hitching a short ride on the back of a college pal's Honda, (I didn't know I was "riding bitch" at the time) I haven't taken the hog by the horns and mounted the steel horse.

My friend John told me that the State of Illinois offered a class that would prepare you for and administer the test to certify you as a legal motorcycle rider. I figured that sounded official and regulated, but I was sure that cost would be an issue. Nope, the class is actually free. Well, there is a $20 registration fee, but that is supposed to be refunded at the end of the class. I had actually registered for the class last Summer, but had to drop it because of my knee surgery. Karma? Foreshadowing? Divine intervention? Who knows? This year I was not to be deterred. I monitored the website and on the day registration opened, I was in. Tonight I begin a five day, 20 hour crash (probably the wrong choice of word) course. By Friday, I hope to have passed the test and have the little "M" added to my driver's license.

I will confess to being a little apprehensive about the whole endeavor. I have been getting a lot of encouragement from "Wife" , friends and even some of the listeners on WGN, but there is a small part of my addled brain that keeps thinking of Gary Busey and my late father's admonition that "No son of mine will ever ride a motorcycle." I really need to do this though. Whether I love it, loath it or just survive the class, at least I'll have done it. I'm starting to look down the road and realizing that it's better to not have a lot of "I wish I hads" at the end of your life.

In my mind, I see myself astride a big Harley riding through the badlands of South Dakota, or along sun drenched fields in Montana where there is no traffic and the only thing I could possibly run into is a wayward buffalo. That's probably a better visual than me perched atop a "crotch rocket" swerving through a traffic jam on one of the local expressways. There has always been something a little freeing and rebellious about riding a motorcycle, and maybe that's what I'm hoping to tap into with this class.

It's time to get ready. I have to change into some more suitable "biker" clothes. I'm sticking with jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt and some boots. I was going to get outfitted with leathers. Chaps, jacket, do rag, the whole nine, but that would be like a guy showing up to a rec league softball game in spikes, full uniform and a cup. Maybe the cup isn't such a bad idea.

I'll post updates all week. Time to get my motor runnin'. Later.....Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home