Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Smells Like Teen Daughter


Thirteen years ago today "Wife" and I were in an operating room welcoming "Daughter" into the world. Her arrival and first couple of weeks were not the smoothest, but in comparison to some, not the roughest either. I remember seeing her for the first time, a little, red, goo covered screaming machine and thinking "Things are going to change now." Talk about an understatement.

I won't bore you with drawn out reminiscences. If you're a parent, you have plenty of your own. If you're not, you probably don't want to read some teary memories. It's also quite cliche to brag about your kid, but hey, it's my blog, so step off for a minute. Despite having her father's temper and sarcastic sense of humor, "Daughter" is a fantastic young lady. She's a great student, a talented musician and a compassionate friend. "Wife" and I know that she can accomplish anything she sets her mind to. Wow, I just sounded like every new age yahoo huddled around a soccer field on Saturday morning, blathering on about how "special" their little bundles of joy are. Suffice it to say that we know she has the tools to achieve her goals if she sets her mind to it. That's a nice way of saying she's not an idiot.

It's hard for me to believe she's 13. Everyone is getting a good laugh telling me that "the fun" is just beginning. By "everyone" I mean parents of teens who have been in jail, rehab, therapy or some combination of the three. I know there will be some trying times. I was a teenager once myself. I am hopeful that "Wife" and I can give "Daughter" the help and advice, and self confidence she needs to navigate these confusing and exciting years. If not, there's always jail, rehab or therapy.

(IN CASE SHE READS THIS)

Happy Birthday "Daughter"! Mommy and I are very proud of you. You've changed our lives for the better (despite some episodes, but those are normal). We loved you the day you were born, today and every day from here on. You are a unique and wonderful person. (stop giggling)
Remember, we are here for you no matter what and will help you however we can. Enjoy being a teenager.

OK, on a different note, it's plug time. I hope you can join me this weekend for a couple doses of "Radio Irreverence" on WGN. It's just what the doctor ordered. (Rimshot) There will be lots to cover, from Milton Bradley's crazy claims, gypsies, my new obsession, a visit from "The Insatiable Insomniacs" and the ever popular "whole lot more". here are the times for the uninitiated, Fri/Sat 2-5 am and Sat/Sun 1-5 am. Stay awake, you won't regret it. Have a great weekend. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home