Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Monday, August 28, 2006

A Decade Of Daughter


Today is "Daughter's" 10th birthday. Everyone always says that they can't believe how time flies, but I really am shocked. Ten years seem to have flown by. The crying mass that I first laid eyes on has grown into a little girl that changes faster than I can fathom.

I remember every detail about the morning "Daughter" was born so vividly. "Wife" had not had an easy pregnancy, and the doctor decided that "Daughter" should make her appearance two weeks early. It was the first time she changed our plans, but it was by no means the last. "Daughter" was born at 7:30 in the morning. I was lucky enough to be in the delivery room when she was born. If you've ever seen me do stand up, or listened to my CD "Protect The Children", you know I have definite opinions about delivery. "Daughter" came into the world like most babies, screaming her head off and covered with a red gelatinous goo that made her look like we had been dipping her in a mixture of Vaseline and raspberry jam. In the back of my mind, I think I had been hoping for a boy, but there was no more than a hundredth of a second that her not being a boy mattered. All I could think of was how lucky I was that she and "Wife" were both OK.

"Daughter" was the first grandchild on both sides of the family, and the first girl in my family. My parents were so thrilled that the first thing my mom said to "Wife" when she saw her was "Thank you." It was an exciting day. My mom and dad were there when "Daughter" was born. So were "Wife's" mom and sister and one of my brothers. Everybody was so happy, but nobody more than me. Words don't begin to cover the emotion you feel when you see your child for the first time. I know that's corny, but parents will understand what I mean. All your hopes and fears are focused on the little life that you helped create.

It would take hours for me to tell you about all the things "Daughter" has done over the years that have made me happy, crazy, laugh or cry. In some ways she's like every other kid. As much as "Wife" and I love her, sometimes she makes us nuts, but in the next breath we realize why we love her so much. In other ways, she is her own unique individual who shows me that the world will be a better place because she's in it. She has inherited the best parts of both her parents, and also some of the bad. I guess that's why I, and I think most parents, get frustrated. We see things in our children that we passed on to them, that we wish we hadn't, and since we all want our children to be better than us, we struggle to help our kids break the cycle.

I try to be a good dad, and sometimes I fail, but I see in "Daughter's" eyes that she knows I'm trying my best. That's what makes everything worth while. My life is better because she was born. Having her has made me work a little harder to be the kind of dad she will be proud of. I fail sometimes, but she never gives up on me, and I hope she knows I'll never give up on her. That's a bond that people without kids may not understand. "Daughter" can make me angrier that just about anyone, but she's the only person I will forgive without hesitation, and support without question.

Happy 10th Birthday "Daughter". You're the joy of Mommy's and my life. I am so proud of the girl you've become and can't wait to see the young woman you're going to be. Keep your sense of humor, your love of learning and sweetness the rest of your life. Know that you are special, not only to mommy and me, but in your own right, and don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. Remember that hard work will pay off, but it's OK to sometimes just have fun. Most of all, never forget how much I love you, and how proud I am of you. I don't care how old you get, you'll always be my little girl. Your first decade on Earth has gone pretty well. I can't wait to see what your future holds. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Later...Daddy (Brian)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home