Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

School? Already?


It's not even Labor Day, but "Daughter" started school today. It seems like she just got out for the Summer, and boom back to the grind. I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with starting the year so early. I think Summer vacation should go until the end of August. That's how I feel now, but when I was a kid, I wanted Summer vacation to last until Thanksgiving break.

Thankfully, "Daughter" does not share my lack of enthusiasm for all things scholastic. It's not that I didn't like school, it's just that I was lazy. I would do just enough to get by. According to all my teachers, I had great "potential". If you think about it, all kids have potential. Perhaps getting A's in geometry wasn't what my potential was for. Maybe I had the potential to be a smart aleck comic with uncanny timing and a knack for sarcasm. If that's the case, then no one has fulfilled their potential more than I. I think "Daughter's" potential lies in the scholastic realm. I'm very happy that's the case. The world doesn't need any more professional wisenheimers.

I was reminiscing today about the beginning of the school year. I think most of us went through the same things. We were filled with hope and promise as we made our way through the aisles of (insert name of your favorite discount store here). Every new notebook and binder held the dream of a better scholastic year than the one before. "This is the year I work hard and finally live up to the mythical potential that I'm always hearing about." It only took about three weeks for those hopes to be dashed on the rocks that made up my scholastic career. I always had good intentions, but you know the road that's paved with those, and it's not the Rhodes Scholar one.

So fifth grade has started fro "Daughter". I can't really remember my fifth grade year. Grammar school memories all run together in a continuous stream of white shirts, blue pants and trying to peek up those plaid skirts the girls wore. I hope with all the success "Daughter" is having, her memories are a little clearer and filled with a lot more success. There's the bell. I'm gonna be late again. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home