Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Friday, September 04, 2009

Going Into Labor.......Day


I almost fell victim to "taking the Friday before a long weekend off" disease. I could have said I was leaving the office early to get a jump on traffic, but you and I both know, "leaving the office early" in my case means putting on pants and walking into the kitchen for another cup of coffee. Sometimes I wish I had a more traditional job, so I could give into such urges, but then I realize that my whole life has been about giving into those urges, so I shut up and get to work.

This has been a wild week. I have, for reasons unknown, gotten involved in my community. Yes, I have become "a volunteer". There is a big "Fall Fest" in our town, and my subdivision is part of the association that runs the beer and entertainment tent. (BETA, get it?) I've volunteered for small shifts in the tent the last few years. Those shifts usually entailed pouring beer, putting wristbands on hot women and drinking for free. This year, I suffered a head injury and came to the conclusion that if a short shift was fun, being on the "management team" would be fun squared. I've never been good at math, so my theory hasn't really panned out.

I've never worked on a committee, or in an office type setting. When I have an idea that I think is a good one, I implement it. I don't have to run it by a bunch of burned out, long term volunteers who really don't want any young whipper snapper rocking the boat. "That's not the way we do it" has been tossed my way so many times, I started thinking I was in my marital bed. I know throat punching someone is not the best negotiating tool in the box, but I've been tempted to reach for it on more that one occasion. Two other guys from the block were my partners, representing our subdivision. We actually got along great. We listened to each other, didn't discount anyone's ideas out of hand and realized that hawking beer for four days isn't the be all and end all of the universe. We accomplished our tasks with ease. Wow, what a concept! Shouldn't all adults act that way? Well, yeah, but that wouldn't be any fun now would it? I'm starting to realize that some people are just...what's the term I'm looking for? Jackasses! That's the one. No matter what you say, they have to be contrary. They know best and you should just shut up. Then they complain that nobody wants to help. Gee, I wonder why? These do it yourself martyrs love to suffer and then tell anyone unlucky enough to be within ear shot how tough they have it. Call me crazy, but maybe your attitude is a volunteer repellent.

I'll be at the tent a lot this weekend and will give you a full report on the proceedings, including what my bail was set at after several episodes of throat punching on Tuesday. I've accepted my role as an adult and forgone mindless drinking so that I can still bring you all the "Radio Irreverence" this weekend on WGN. Join the fun Fri/Sat from 2-5 am and Sat/Sun from 1-5 am. I know we'll be talking cheap shots and bad athlete behavior, Oprah's ultimate act of entitlement, stinky people on the subway, adult binge drinking, and the beauty of Lingerie Football. All that , the Overnight Arcade and as always "so much more". I hope you can join me. Have a safe, and enjoyable Labor Day Weekend. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home