Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Friday, October 02, 2009

Rings Denied


Trying...to...process...my disappointment...through a veil...of tears....with John Williams....music...playing loudly...to...drown ....out....my...thoughts. All right, time to pull it together. Bad news came to the City of Wind today when the IOC announced that Chicago was not chosen to host the 2016 Summer Games.

I say the news was bad because, despite some initial hesitation, I was looking forward to the Olympics coming to Chicago. The thought of opening our doors to the world seemed like a fantastic way to showcase a wonderful city. Sure, there were questions and concerns. Who would foot the bill for this shindig? How would all the venues be constructed in time? Could the city upgrade it's transportation system in order to move the masses? How would I get my mitts on some of the inevitable kick back money? Good questions all, and now there will be no need for answers. No, in it's infinite wisdom the IOC bumped Chicago from contention in the first round of voting. I haven't been involved in such a quick rejection since I made a ham handed pass at a buxom brunette during what was supposed to be an eighth grade make out party. Like the thousands of supporters watching the announcement in Daley Plaza, I left frustrated, angry and wishing I hadn't bought that new shirt announcing an event that would never take place. Not only did I watch Chicago's dreams of Olympic glory die with the announcement, I watched some of my own capitalistic hopes being dashed to the ground.

I wish I could tell you that all my Olympic spirit was based on National and Civic pride and love of pure (if you don't count steroids) amateur athletics, but that would be an outright lie. Some of the proposed venues were going to be close to the Noonan compound. I was planning (without "Wife's" knowledge at this point) to turn our yard into a squatters village for Olympic athletes and visitors. I know some people rent their houses to tourists and visiting athletes, but let's be honest, would you want your house filled with foreign shot putters and archers without your supervision? I didn't think so. No, I was willing to invest in a couple of camp showers and extension cords and set up my own version of a "Jellystone Camp Grounds" or Olympic shanty town. I would have been an effective and welcoming ambassador, teaching our visitors American customs like cutting your host's grass and scalping event tickets. But alas, these dreams will never come to fruition. The 2016 Olympics will be held in Rio De Janeiro. I guess that's a nice place if you like beautiful scenery, exposed buttocks and waxed lady parts. (Who doesn't?)

I'll try to overcome my sadness and mount some "Radio Irreverence" starting later tonight on WGN. I'm sure we'll rehash the Olympic debacle, debate the lunacy of Hollywood types defending Roman Polanski, and explain where you can go to learn how to defend yourself against one of our biggest threats . There will also be the Arcade, roller derby talk and as always..."a whole lot more." Join the fun Fri/Sat from 2-5 am and Sat/Sun from 1-5 am. I may not be hosting the Ugandan Skeet Shooting Team in my yard, but I'll welcome you with open arms. Have a great weekend. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home