Rantings of the Crewcut Dad

Come enjoy the rantings of radio personality/comedian/actor/bon vivant Brian Noonan. Brian shares his unique and jaded views on family, pop culture,the suburban jungle and the world at large.

Friday, September 01, 2006

What, Me Labor?


Like a lot of places, the corporate offices of Brian Noonan Worldwide will be closing early today. In that regard, I'm going to keep this short. You know it's Labor Day weekend, and if there's one thing I know it's labor. Not really, but I like to imagine that I work hard and every once in a while deserve a break.

I have neither the time or the inclination to look up the exact origins of Labor Day, so I'll do what I always do, work from a position of supposition and conjecture. Wasn't that the name of a talk show on Fox News? Anyway, if I recall correctly, Labor Day is a day set aside to honor American workers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what a paycheck does? Nothing honors me more than someone giving me cash. I also find it extremely ironic that most people don't have to work on labor Day. Hell, work is right in the title. Why not just call it "Another excuse for the American worker to take it easy Day." I know that's a mouthful, but we should have to work at something.

I think if we really want to honor the worker, we should find a way to raise minimum wage and let all workers have access to affordable health care. Doesn't that seem more honorable than giving people another day off to enjoy furniture sales and $5 used car extavaganzas that they can't afford because they have too many days off. Whew, all that speechafyin' made me tired. I guess a day off to honor all my efforts to better society through half baked theories is a great idea.

Time to close up shop. I can't fix all the problems of the world in one afternoon. Besides, I have to work in a beer tent tonight at the big Fall Festival in my town. I need to rest up. It's a holiday weekend, so there's no excuse not to stay up late Saturday night and listen to me on WGN from 1-5 am. I'm taking Monday off, not to honor anyone, but because it is a legal excuse for laziness. Have a great weekend and a restful Labor Day. Later...Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home